What is baked potato salad?
Simply put, the potatoes are cut, seasoned, roasted and then harvested. In other words, a slice of potato tastes great.
It is not too salty, it is not bland, it does not depend on the serving temperature … Hot or cold, all great.
Grilling versus braising
I recently served this recipe to a friend at a barbecue. Standing over a pot of boiling water, you know how quickly steam can heat a room.
Try this baked potato salad and you’ll find it’s worth firing up the oven. (Alternatively, we offer the Air Fryer Baked Potatoes option below.)
How to cook potatoes
The protagonist of this recipe are potatoes. But there are some tricks to make sure the final product is perfect.
- Use small potatoes such as new potatoes and sweet potatoes. Take a few minutes to make sure the cube is the same size. When roasting potatoes, make sure they are evenly browned and not overcooked or overcooked. If they are all the same size, they will have a crunchy texture.
- Cut the potatoes into 1-inch cubes. I’ve been making this salad for years and often try new variations to see if I can make it more enjoyable or flavorful. For example, I tried the baked potato wedges. While I thought these were the best (people eat with their eyes first!), The larger potato slices meant the ratio of toppings per potato was lower.
- Before adding olive oil and seasonings, make sure the potatoes are dry. Now my grandmother is a big fan of washing potatoes after cutting them and letting them sit in a cold water bath. I don’t wash the potatoes for this salad. (Edited to add, I don’t wash potatoes after I cut them. I wash them before cutting them). I want a super crisp outer edge with a soft inside.
- Please prepare a bowl. Aluminum foil is often used to line the entire pan (it’s easy to clean), but you can also use parchment or silpat paper. I often put a tablespoon of oil in the pan and rub my hands evenly on the aluminum foil to prevent the potatoes from sticking. No sprays or no sprays.
- Do not overfill the pan. A good and even layer of potatoes is essential, not too close together. You want crunchy treats on both sides.
- Don’t twist too much. I usually flip potatoes once during roasting to make sure they are completely crisp on one side. The total cooking time is 30-45 minutes, depending on the oven. I keep an eye on them after having turned them upside down because the rounds do not color even if they are crunchy.
What’s in Roasted Potato Salad?
Each ingredient in this potato salad is important and makes for a great end product.
- Potatoes: completely roasted and mixed with other ingredients once heated.
- Bacon – We love crispy bacon. I bake it in the oven at 200 ° C for 18-22 minutes. Chewy bacon is not recommended for this recipe.
- Eggs – Obviously hard-boiled. I like to cut the egg into 4 pieces. I love egg yolks for their soft texture and mild flavor, which goes well with grated potatoes. You can cut the eggs into small pieces to your liking.
- Red Onion – I like to add red onions so I recommend it, but I used scallions and chives. You want to use an onion that can stand on its own and add texture and beauty to the final product. I prefer a small cube, my husband chops the onion from time to time and portions it into single curved pieces.
- Mayonnaise – The base is better. Mayonnaise doesn’t need fancy flavors, variations or substitutes. Note: I didn’t like the Greek yogurt in this recipe … it doesn’t work as well as mayonnaise when used with hot potatoes.
- Mustard – plain old yellow mustard. If you only have dry mustard, you can use it, but the recipe will change slightly. In general, 1 tablespoon of yellow mustard is equivalent to 1 teaspoon of dry mustard. But since yellow mustard contains other ingredients such as vinegar, turmeric, paprika, salt and garlic, you need to add some extra liquid to this recipe, if using mustard add 1-2 teaspoons of vinegar.
- Dill: The recipe calls for dried dill. If you have something cool, you can definitely use it. Replacement is easy. A tablespoon of fresh is equivalent to a teaspoon of dry. I used 1/4 teaspoon of dried herb dill in this recipe, so use 1 teaspoon of fresh herb dill. (No dill seeds).
Put it all together
Did I mention that I like to make potato salad when the potatoes are hot. This is because the mayonnaise and spices dip into the potatoes and create a magic you have never experienced before with potato salad. However, when serving it to a large group, I sometimes cook the potatoes, bacon, and eggs the day before, then reheat the potatoes and bacon a little before assembling.
Once ready, all that remains is to mix everything and serve! It doesn’t need to be refrigerated before serving, but you can prepare it a day in advance and serve it cold. If you eat it cold, be sure to keep it cold.
How to keep potato salad fresh outdoors
Place the container on ice. Just add a few ice cubes to a larger bowl and put the smaller bowl in it.
Can you roast potatoes in the air fryer?
- Certainly! Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to work in batches.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes, season according to the instructions below and arrange them evenly in the basket of the greased air fryer. Brush with oil again.
- Air fry at 180 ° C for 20-25 minutes, turning halfway through cooking. Turn again if necessary to make all edges of the potatoes crisp evenly. Continue with the preparation steps below